Sealed Surface Care & Maintenance
To prolong the life of your pavers, Mr Blastit recommends that you get them sealed with a good quality sealer as soon as they have been laid. It is then important to maintain them with regular cleaning and care. (Unsure if it's worth spending the additional money on sealing? Check our Mr Blastit's advice here.)
Sealed surfaces should not be walked on for 24 hours after application of Pro Seal 896. Full cure can take up to 72 hours. As such it is best practice to avoid heavy traffic such as vehicles, furniture trolleys etc. for a period of 3 days.
A sealer will help to prevent or delay liquids from penetrating into porous surfaces but does not make the surfaces completely stain proof. As such it is best practice to clean up spills as soon as practical before they have time to react with and soak into the sealer. Warm soapy water with a soft brush or sponge can be used without causing any damage to the sealer.
- DO NOT use acids, alkalis, solvents or other harsh chemicals on your pavement
- DO NOT use scourers, wire brushes or other abrasives on your pavement
- DO NOT ignore spills. Clean them up as soon as practical. This includes pet wastes.
Many common household liquids can cause staining if left to dwell on paved surfaces and many common cleaning products contain harsh chemicals that may cause damage to the sealer and to the pavement itself. Some of these include:
- Acids – soft drinks, fruit juices, lemon, lime, vinegar, tomatoes, oven cleaners and scale removal products
- Alkalis - detergents, degreasers
- Solvents – oil, petrol, kerosene, alcohol, perfume/aftershave
In areas where spills are unavoidable a means of containment is recommended. Some common containment applications are:
- Use oil catch pans in driveways / carports under cars with oil leaks
- Use a fat tray under barbeques. Empty and clean them regularly
- Use saucers under plant pots and do not over fill
- Use rubber feet or rubber matting under steel chairs and other furniture to prevent rust stains
A pressure clean of the pavement is recommended once per year to remove dirt and grime build up.
Pro Seal 896 is a very durable sealer and in many instances will last for more than 5 years. However, to ensure continuous protection in high traffic areas or harsh environments we recommend reapplication of Pro Seal 896 every 3 years.